The Path of Life

The Path of Life

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Seeing the light


Today's feast of the Presentation of the Lord, while understated, is one of my favorites during the liturgical year. Recalling Joseph and Mary's presentation of the child Jesus at the temple in Jerusalem 40 days after his birth while pointing toward the light of the Resurrection, the Living God manifests himself to the eyes of the faithful Simeon. Likewise, Christ comes to meet his faithful today in the temple of the heart through the Holy Spirit conferred at baptism. Welcoming him in joyful prayer, praise, and perseverance, the life of Christ radiates out to all the world.

We began our celebration at Mass this morning with the blessing and lighting of candles, which we then carried as we processed into the church. The Gospel read during Mass for the feast, of course, is Luke 2:22-40, which contains the Nunc Dimittis, or Canticle of Simeon (Luke 2:29-31), which we chant every night at Compline (one of the reasons that office is probably my favorite):
Lord, now you let your servant go in peace:
your word has been fulfilled:

My own eyes have seen the salvation
which you have prepared in the sight of every people:

a light to reveal you to the nations
and the glory of your people Israel.
One reason this feast is special to me personally is because it was on this day (six years ago) that after a long period of prayer and discernment, I worked up the courage to tell my employers at The Blade newspaper in Toledo, Ohio, that I was seriously looking at leaving and taking up the monastic way of life. It was an important step--likely moreso for me than for The Blade. On that day in 2006, commending myself to the Mother of God, I signaled in concrete form my intentions not only to my employer, but to myself. Though at that time I didn't know I was coming to Saint Meinrad and still had a house, etc., seven months later I was here.

Also, today is the feast day of our own Fr. Simeon Daly, who is quickly approaching his 90th birthday and is still very active in shining his light around here. Fr. Simeon has his own website, Finding Grace in the Moment: Stories and Other Musings of an Aged Monk, which is chock full of interesting stories and reflections (and videos!). Click here to take a peek. It's well worth your time. Ad multos annos, Fr. Simeon!

May we all be encountered and enflamed by the light of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment