The Path of Life

The Path of Life

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Steadfast love

The Lord is strength, my rock,
my fortress, my savior.

Psalm 18:2-3

Even though everything turns and changes around us, we must always remain unchanging and ever looking, striving, and aspiring toward God.

No matter what course the ship may take, no matter whether it sails to the east, west, north, or south, no matter what wind drives it on, the mariner's needle never points in any direction except toward the fair polar star.

Everything may be in confusion not only around us, I say, but within us as well. Our soul may be overwhelmed with sorrow or joy, with sweetness or bitterness, with peace or trouble, with light or darkness, with temptation or repose, with pleasure or disgust, with aridity or tenderness. It may be scorched by the sun or refreshed by the dew.

For all that, ever and always our heart's point, our spirit, our higher will, which is our compass, must unceasingly look and tend toward the love of God, its Creator, its Savior, its sole and sovereign good.

-- St. Francis de Sales
Introduction to the Devout Life
X
You, O Lord, are my lamp
my God who lightens my darkness.

Psalm 18:29

No comments:

Post a Comment